BRAN CASTLE Bran / Törzburg

First built by Teutonic Knights in 1377 to protect Kronstadt (Brasov) from Ottoman attacks, it became a key guard post at the Carpathian Mountain pass for the Austro-Hungarian Empire's hold on Transylvania.

Old Photos Gallery

The Castle is one of the most popular visitor sites in Romania both for Romanians and foreigners.

Gifted to
Queen Marie of Romania by local citizens after Transylvania became a Romanian province in the early 1920s, she restored it into its present state. For Queen Marie's and other stories on the Castle see:
Backgound

The Castle was confiscated by the Communist government in 1948 and in 1950 the castle became a national monument to which was added a museum of restored village buildings. In May 2006, the castle was restituted to
Archduke Dominic von Habsburg, the heir of Princess Ileana last royal owner of the castle.

Official Bran Castle website

See the Ministry of Culure's website

Top Lft: Castle views and interior details

Mid Rt: Queen Marie at the castle in the 1930s. Grand-daughter of Queen Victoria (England) and niece of Tzar Alexander, she brought Romanian culture to world attention.

Mid Lft: Private concert for Dan Dimancescu in 2003 and for family guests (authorized by Ministry of Culture) with medieval-music Brasov choir in courtyard; and Rt: guests

Bttm Lft: Old print (1700s) of castle then known as Tortzbuger Schloss