BASTEA FAMILY HISTORY

The Bastea's are the oldest recorded family in the carpathian community of Rucar (Muscel), 40 km south of Bran. First documentation, dated April 14, 1579, was found in the early 1800s by the priest Ion Bastea in Racoasa, Moldavia. He traveled there to look for some old papers needed to justify ownership of a property called "Danesti" in Rucar as recorded in a document dated July 29, 1800.

The lost papers, of princely origin, had been left with others in Soveja Racor(asa) Casin when at the beginning of the XVIII th century many Rucar residents fled to the Vrancea to escape heavy taxation imposed by Turkish invaders. They contained references to the names of Suslanesti and Calulesti in an area now called Moarele. The settlement in question had been called "Danesti" in honor of the ruling Voivo Dan II who gave this property to the peasant land owners of Rucar as a reward for their help in meeting the needs of the country.
Around the middle of the XVIII the century, the Danesti property appeared to be owned by the CALU family from which came the name Calulesti. The Calu family along with the BASTEA family owned in addition to a part of Calulesti (Danesti), the forested BOTEANU Mountain in Rucar and later the BOROVOIESCU Mountain.
The BASTEA family was known as much in Rucar as across the Carpathians (north) in Fagaras, Transylvania, and in Soveja Village, Vrancea.
Most probably the inhabitants of Rucar-Fagaras crossed ther Mountains and settled in Rucar Muscel. First settlement probably took place during the reign of Negru Voda, founder and ruler of Wallachia in 1290. Since that time, many members of the Bastea family have been individuals of culture and science. Some founded schools and churches. Already in the XVII th century Jinga Bastea, Iorca and Bran Bastea knew how to read both Romanian and Slavonic as recorded in documents with their signatures and mathematical notations. This may be due to Rucar/Dragoslavele being the site of one of the oldest customs houses on the north-south trade route and a major source of funds for the ruling state.
In 1673, Jinga Bastea and his brothers erected a cross to memorialize the family name. With text written by Iorca, it still stands at their home site which was eventually burned by Communist-era troops in 1953. Another cross was erected by Bastea in the "Camp" or "Rotundul". In 1747, a church was founded by Ion Bran Bastea and others in Rucar.
Among those who held noble titles were the Boyard Radu Bastea and Nicolae Cioplei who married the daughter of the priest J. J. Bastea in 1801.